This is Jack on his first day of preschool, age 3. As we approach a new school year, Stella will now be walking the steps down to preschool and Jack will be moving on to a new school. August is a month of transitions here and I'm not quite sure how I am feeling about them. While I know they will both grow and thrive in school, it's a little sad that there will be a couple mornings a week that neither of them will need me. I know crazy right, I am finally going to get some alone time and now I'm not so sure I'm ready for that alone time. When you're in the trenches of motherhood, having a 2 year old and a newborn, middle of the night feedings, feeling like you will never sleep again, it's easy to feel frustrated and like these tiny little people have taken over your life forever. But here I am already, sending my little people off to school, seeing the light at the end of the trench.
This summer I have gone through a shift, realizing I want to spend as much time with the kids and love on them as much as I can while I have them to myself for the summer. It's true, (though unhelpful and annoying to hear when you are "in it") the time goes so fast, enjoy every minute. I have to hold myself back from telling my friends with new babies this, but it is true, and this summer I have felt the shift in my motherhood journey. The kids are becoming more and more independent and self sufficient, and while they are so much fun, ready or not here we are, at this new stage of each of their journeys.
No comments:
Post a Comment